Tip For Synonyms And Antonyms

Information about the English Paper of PMS.
Total Marks are 100 Marks and Passing marks for this is 33
muhammadmohsinali
Zero Star Member
Zero Star Member
Nationality: Pakistani

Tip For Synonyms And Antonyms

Post by muhammadmohsinali »

AOA,Dear Members,You can find a piece of advice based on personal experience for the Vocabulary-concerned members.The very first two questions of the English Composition paper comprise of Synonyms and Antonyms.It really is a tough and toiling task remembering all the vocabulary and recalling those during the exams.I have an idea to share if it looks congenial to you.You will be surprised to know that the real English words are merely 50 % while the remaining are composed with the addition of either a prefix ( the word that is written before the original word. e.g. un, in, im, etc.) and suffix ( the word that is written after the original word. e.g. less, ale, ily, etc.)The main thing you need to learn is the root word which gives birth to numerous words.For instance, the word "vid" generally refers to "view". If you know this thing then you can easily understand meanings of the words you have never heard or read before. e.g. video. vision, visual. evidence. and many more such words which will give you the sense of the word.I repeatedly quote that half of the words for better understandings of English are merely a guess work which you can learn by knowing the word etymology.So for the quick reading of editorial, make use of guess-work by using common sense and etymology.Etymology is the study of the history of words, their origins, and how their form and meaning have changed over time.Here again I quote that I had never studied etymology at all but had good common sense of comparing different words and taking out the similarities.Nothing is easy or difficult to study. All I know is easy to me and vice versa.It also needs one's personal interest as well to develop the skill.Developing the skill of etymology needs your keen observation along with little effort.Another example for etymology is as follows.The words such as spectacle, spectrum, prospect, aspect, spectacular, inspection, inspector, etc, have some thing in common and that is "spec". So one can easily develop the sense that all these words have more or less the similar meanings having a common word among them.All have some connection, one way or the other, with the meaning "view".Hence, one can easily guess the meanings of various bizarre words one comes across during composition paper.

Return to “ENGLISH”